Social Services

The Chowan County Department of Social Services was established to administer a variety of social programs that assist the most vulnerable citizens of Chowan County. Many of these programs are supported by federal, state, and county dollars and are mandated to be made available.


Mailing Address: 100 W. Freemason Circle
Edenton, NC 27932
Telephone: (252) 482-7441
FAX: (252) 482-7041
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday
Director: Tyeshia B. Phelps  Director

Chowan Social Services, in accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs.

To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. Write USDA, Director of Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800)795-3272 (voice) or (202)720-6382 (TTY).  Write HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington D.C. , 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (202) 619-3257 (TTY). USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.

If you or your organization would like to have a representative of the Department of Social Services to speak at your next gathering regarding services within the department, please contact Tyeshia B. Phelps at or at 252-482-7441.  We will be pleased to try to accommodate you with a speaker regarding any of the services we provide or on general issues in Social Services.


Board of Social Service Minutes

How to Apply

You can apply for some services by telephone or completing an application.  You can also request that an application is mailed to you or you can visit our office to pick up an application.  If the application is completed on the phone with a case worker, the application will be mailed to your for your signature.   

NC EPASS is a quick and easy way for individuals and families to learn about and apply for available benefits and services. Online applications are available for Food and Nutrition Services (formerly Food Stamps) as well as Medical Assistance (Medicaid).

You can learn if you are potentially eligible for Medical Assistance by completing an electronic pre-assessment screening.  For more information please click this link:

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. In a time when the stress adds up at home, it is critical to remember not to take your stress out on your children. There are many supportive services to help you. Our children are our greatest asset, please help us to prevent abuse and neglect. Understand the signs, be proactive, and take action if warranted.

"April is Child Abuse Prevention Month"

 Parents have one of the toughest jobs around! After all, they're not just raising kids, they're building our future. Building healthy kids is one sure way to build a brighter North Carolina for all of us. Do what you can to support parents. Reach out, lend a helping hand. If you are a parent, ask for help and advice from friends, family, neighbors, doctors, and others. It's up to all of us to make sure that the foundation for our future is strong. For more info, visit . To make a report of child abuse or neglect on a parent or caretaker, contact the Chowan County Department of Social Services at 252-482-7441.